Churchy vs Spiritual - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between churchy and spiritual
is that churchy
is (mildly pejorative) one who is piously christian while spiritual
is (christianity|historical) a member of a branch of the franciscan order who advocated simple dress and renounced the owning of property.
As an adjective churchy
is piously christian.
*2000 , (JG Ballard), Super-Cannes , Fourth Estate 2011, p. 90:
*:I was staying with my mother's sister, a retired character actress with a churchy streak.
(mildly pejorative) one who is piously Christian
* spirituall, spirytual, spirytuall, spyritual, spyrituall, spyrytual, spyrytuall
Of or pertaining to the spirit or the soul.
* Sir Thomas Browne
- Respect towards ancestors is an essential part of Thai spiritual practice.
Of or pertaining to God or a place of worship; sacred.
Of or pertaining to spirits; supernatural.
Consisting of spirit; not material; incorporeal.
- God's law is spiritual ; it is a transcript of the divine nature, and extends its authority to the acts of the soul of man.
* Bible, 1. Corinthians xv. 44
- a spiritual substance or being
Of or relating to the intellectual and higher endowments of the mind; mental; intellectual.
(Christianity) Controlled and inspired by the Holy Spirit; pure; holy.
* Bible, Gal. vi. 1
- It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.
Not lay or temporal; relating to sacred things; ecclesiastical.
- If a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual , restore such an one.
- the spiritual''' functions of the clergy; lords '''spiritual''' and temporal; a '''spiritual corporation
* spiritual desertion
A Christian religious song, especially one in an African-American style, or a similar non-religious song.
Any spiritual function, office, or affair.
- He assigns supremacy to the pope in spirituals , and to the emperor in temporals. — Lowell.