As adjectives the difference between affected and specious
is that affected
is influenced or changed by something while specious
is seemingly well-reasoned, plausible or true, but actually fallacious.
As a noun affected
is someone , as by a disease.
As a verb affected
influenced or changed by something
simulated in order to impress
- The affected compass was impossible to use, so we got lost.
Emotionally moved; touched.
(algebra, archaic) adfected
- He spoke with an affected English accent.
Resulting from a mostly negative physical effect or transformation
- an affected equation
Someone , as by a disease.
- The thunderstorm affected the compass, and we got lost.
Seemingly well-reasoned, plausible or true, but actually fallacious.
*1776 , Thomas Paine,
*:I have frequently amused myself both in public and private companies, with silently remarking, the specious errors of those who speak without reflecting.
Having an attractive appearance intended to generate a favorable response; deceptively attractive.
(obsolete) Beautiful, pleasing to look at.
- This idea that we must see through what we have started is specious , however good it may sound.
* fallacious, insincere
* (with appearance intended to generate a favorable response) meretricious