Smew is a see also of merganser.
As nouns the difference between smew and merganser
is that smew
is a small compact diving duck, mergus albellus
, that breeds in the northern taiga of europe and asia and winters on sheltered coasts or inland lakes while merganser
is any of various diving ducks of the genera mergus'' or ''lophodytes
, which feed on fish and have a sharply serrated bill.
A small compact diving duck, Mergus albellus , that breeds in the northern taiga of Europe and Asia and winters on sheltered coasts or inland lakes.
Any of various diving ducks of the genera Mergus'' or ''Lophodytes , which feed on fish and have a sharply serrated bill.
* (Eurasian) goosander, Mergus merganser
* †Auckland merganser (also Auckland Islands merganser), (extinct)
* Brazilian merganser, ''Mergus octosetaceus'
* common merganser, Mergus merganser
* hooded merganser, Lophodytes cucullatus
* red-breasted merganser, Mergus serrator
* scaly-sided merganser, Mergus squamatus
* typical merganser, Mergus
* smew, Mergellus albellus'' (also sometimes ''Mergus albellus )
* , Mergellus albellus