To admonish in blame; to reproach angrily.
- 1591' ''And yet I was last '''chidden for being too slow.'' — Shakespeare, ''The Two Gentlemen of Verona , .
- 1598' ''If the scorn of your bright eyne / Have power to raise such love in mine, / Alack, in me what strange effect / Would they work in mild aspect? / Whiles you '''chid me, I did love'' — Shakespeare, ''As You Like It , .
, author=Edgar Rice Burroughs
, title=Thuvia, Maiden of Mars
, publisher=The Gutenberg Project
, passage=Then she had not chidden' him for the use of that familiar salutation, nor did she ' chide
him now, though she was promised to another.
(obsolete) To utter words of disapprobation and displeasure; to find fault; to contend angrily.
(ambitransitive) To make a clamorous noise; to chafe.
- 1611' ''And Jacob was wroth, and '''chode with Laban: and Jacob answered and said to Laban, What is my trespass? what is my sin, that thou hast so hotly pursued after me? — Genesis 31:36 KJV.
- As doth a rock against the chiding flood.
- the sea that chides the banks of England
* See also
The lack of any sound.
The act of refraining from speaking.
, title=(The Celebrity
, passage=Then we relapsed into a discomfited silence
, and wished we were anywhere else. But Miss Thorn relieved the situation by laughing aloud, and with such a hearty enjoyment that instead of getting angry and more mortified we began to laugh ourselves, and instantly felt better.}}
* D. Webster
Form of meditative worship practiced by the Society of Friends (Quakers); meeting for worship.
- The administration itself keeps a profound silence .
* blue wall of silence
* cone of silence
* conspiracy of silence
* deafening silence
* moment of silence
* radio silence
* silence is golden
* tower of silence
* two-minute silence
* vow of silence
* wall of silence
To make (someone or something) silent.
To suppress criticism, etc.
- Can you silence the crowd, so we can start the show?
- Silence the critics.
- Silence the doubters.
, date=December 19
, author=Kerry Brown
, title=Kim Jong-il obituary
, work=The Guardian
, passage=A state ideology, mixing nationalism, and basic Marxist economics, going under the name "Juche", was constructed, and Kim Il-sung effectively silenced
, disposed of and cleared away any opposition, isolating the country and exercising an iron grip on the military, the state media and the government and party organs.}}
(Molecular biology) To block gene expression.
* quiet, noise, loud, deaf, audible.
A common imperative instructing the addressed to remain silent.
* Silence ! Enough of your insolence!
* be quiet!