A member of any of the numerous ethnic groups whose majority have lived a nomadic life on the vast Eurasian steppe, speaking Turkic languages.
A person from Turkey.
(obsolete) A Muslim.
- Compare but our manners unto a Turke .
(archaic) A bloodthirsty and savage person; vandal; barbarian.
- It is no good reason for a man's religion that he was born and brought up in it; for then a Turk would have as much reason to be a Turk as a Christian to be a Christian.
* 1579 , John Lyly, Euphues ,
* 1760 , Tobias George Smollett (editor), The Critical Review: Or, Annals of Literature, Volume 9 ,
- Was neuer any Impe so wicked and barbarous, any Turke so vyle and brutishe.
* 1987 , Anne Mozley, Essays from "Blackwood" , page 21:
- A sort of primitive barbarity distinguishes the whole; no variety of character appears; and to call a man Turk is to say, that he is jealous, haughty, covetous, ignorant, and lascivious; at the same time that a certain dignity of gait, and magnificence of manners, gives him the appearance of generosity and true greatness of soul.
* 1906 , (George Meredith), One of our conquerors ,
- A bad temper does seem often favourable to health. The man who has been a Turk all his life lives long to plague all about him.
* 1928 , Lu?f? Levonian, Moslem mentality: a discussion of the presentation of Christianity to Moslems ,
- As much as the wilfully or naturally blunted, the intelligently honest have to learn by touch: only, their understandings cannot meanwhile be so wholly obtuse as our society's matron, acting to please the tastes of the civilized man—a creature that is not clean-washed of the Turk in him—barbarously exacts.
(US, slang) A homosexual, assuming the active role in anal sex.
* 1938 , Aaron Joshua Rosanoff, Manual of psychiatry and mental hygiene ,
- They regarded the very word Turk' as synonymous with ignorance, impoliteness, and idiocy. To call a man '' Turk' was regarded as a great dishonour to him.
* 1993 , Jonathon Green, Slang down the ages: the historical development of slang ,
- The clannishness of homosexuals has led to the development of special slang expressions among them: Temperamental or queer'', a homosexual person. ''Turk , wolf, or jocker , an active sodomist.
*:turd-packer, hitchhiker on the Hershey highway (fr. the US Hershey chocolate bars), shirt-lifter (Australian), wind-jammer, fart-catcher, dirt tamper, pillow-biter and Turk (fr. the alleged national propensity for sodomy).
* 2006 , Deborah Cameron, On language and sexual politics ,
A member of a Mestee group in South Carolina.
- One of the many underworld synonyms for an active pederast is turk .
* Turk's head
(en proper noun
A city in southeastern Turkey, the seat of Siirt Province. Mixed population of Kurds, Turks, and Arabs. Population: 98,000.