A high-pitched sound made by a snake, cat, escaping steam, etc.
An expression of disapproval made to sound like the noise of a snake.
To make a hissing sound.
- As I started to poke it, the snake hissed at me.
- The arrow hissed through the air.
- Shod with steel, / We hissed along the polished ice.
, date=December 14
, author=John Elkington
, title=John Elkington
, work=the Guardian
, passage=It turns out that the driver of the red Ferrari that caused the crash wasn't, as I first guessed, a youngster, but a 60-year-old. Clearly, he had energy to spare, which was more than could be said about a panel I listened to around the same time as the crash. Indeed, someone hissed
in my ear during a First Magazine awards ceremony in London's imposing Marlborough House on 7 December: "What we need is more old white men on the stage."}}
To condemn or express contempt for by hissing.
* Bible, Ezekiel xxvii. 36
- The merchants among the people shall hiss at thee.
To utter with a hissing sound.
- if the tag-rag people did not clap him and hiss him, according as he pleased and displeased them
- the long-necked geese of the world that are ever hissing dispraise
The quality of being sibilant: a hissing quality.
* 2000 , Elaine A. Clark, There's Money Where Your Mouth Is: An Insider's Guide to a Career in Voice-Overs , Second Edition, Back Stage Books, ISBN 978-0-8230-7702-1,
* 2006 , Barbara Alysen, Electronic Reporter: Broadcast Journalism in Australia , Second Edition, University of New south Wales Press, ISBN 978-0-86840-495-0,
- The following exercises help combat sibilance , plosives, lazy tongue, and mouth problems.
* 2009 , Jean Ann Wright and M. J. Lallo, Voice-Over for Animation , Elsevier, ISBN 978-0-240-81015-7,
- A string of words beginning with ‘s’ will cause sibilance .
* 2012 , Michael Zager, Music Production: For Producers, Composers, Arrangers, and Students , Second Edition, Scarecrow Press, ISBN 978-0-8108-8202-7,
- Work to control the sibilance of your s sounds.
- Most often sending the vocal through a de-esser will either eliminate the sibilance or greatly reduce its sound.