Shy vs Embarrassed - What's the difference?
As adjectives the difference between shy and embarrassed
is that shy
is easily frightened; timid while embarrassed
is having a feeling of shameful discomfort.
As verbs the difference between shy and embarrassed
is that shy
is to avoid due to timidness or caution while embarrassed
As a noun shy
is an act of throwing.
Easily frightened; timid.
* Jonathan Swift
Reserved; disinclined to familiar approach.
- The horses of the army were no longer shy , but would come up to my very feet without starting.
- He is very shy with strangers.
Cautious; wary; suspicious.
- What makes you so shy , my good friend? There's nobody loves you better than I.
* Sir H. Wotton
- I am very shy of using corrosive liquors in the preparation of medicines.
Short, insufficient or less than.
- Princes are, by wisdom of state, somewhat shy of their successors.
- By our count your shipment came up two shy of the bill of lading amount.
- It is just shy of a mile from here to their house.
* Often used in combination with a noun to produce an adjective or adjectival phrase.
* Adjectives are usually applicable to animals (leash-shy'' "shy of leashes" or ''head shy "shy of contact around the head" (of horses)) or to children.
* See also
(terms derived using shy as suffix)
To avoid due to timidness or caution.
To jump back in fear.
- I shy away from investment opportunities I don't understand.
to throw sideways with a jerk; to fling
- The horse shied''' away from the rider, which startled him so much he '''shied away from the horse.
- to shy''' a stone; to '''shy a slipper
An act of throwing.
* 2008 , (James Kelman), Kieron Smith, Boy , Penguin 2009, p. 55:
- If Lord Brougham gets a stone in his hand, he must, it seems, have a shy at somebody.
A place for throwing.
- The game had started. A man was chasing the ball, it went out for a shy .
A sudden start aside, as by a horse.
In the Eton College wall game, a point scored by lifting the ball against the wall in the calx.
- coconut shy
* coconut shy
Having a feeling of shameful discomfort.
- After returning from the pool, Aleshia felt significantly better, though she was still slightly embarrassed .