Bestows vs Showers - What's the difference?
As verbs the difference between bestows and showers
is that bestows
) while showers
As a noun showers is
To lay up in store; deposit for safe keeping; stow; place.
* 1611 , King James Bible, Luke 12:17:
* 1977 , ", HarperCollins, page 358:
- And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits.
To lodge, or find quarters for; provide with accommodation.
* 1838 , Ben Jonson, The works of Ben Jonson :
- Of the Three Rings that the Elves had preserved unsullied no open word was ever spoken among the Wise, and few even of the Eldar knew where they were bestowed .
To dispose of.
* 1810 , Robert Dodsley, Sir Walter Scott, The Ancient British drama :
- Well, my masters, I'll leave him with you; now I see him bestowed , I'll go look for my goods, and Numps.
To give; confer; impart gratuitously; present something to someone as a gift or honour.
- Here are blank warrants of all dispositions; give me but the name and nature of your malefactor, and I'll bestow him according to his merits.
* 2008 , , Userfriendly.org , “
- Medals were bestowed on the winning team.
The Large Hadron Collider Game”
* 1831 , (Mary Shelley),
- CERN bestows slush fund on the LHC. Take all pennies from the CERN space.
To give in marriage.
To apply; make use of; use; employ.
* 1887 , John Marston, Arthur Henry Bullen, The Works of John Marston :
- Soft tears again bedewed my cheeks, and I even raised my humid eyes with thankfulness towards the blessed sun which bestowed such joy upon me.
(obsolete) To behave or deport.
- [...] I determine to bestow Some time in learning languages abroad; [...]