Shife vs Shive - What's the difference?
As an adjective shife
is (african american vernacular english) aggressive looking, tough.
As a noun shive is
a slice, especially of bread or shive
can be (obsolete) a splinter; a particle of fluff on the surface of cloth or other material or shive
can be or shive
can be .
(African American Vernacular English) aggressive looking, tough.
* 1991 , "Bust Down", Nasty Bitch (rap song)
* 1996 , "UGK" (Chad Butler and Bernard Freeman), Diamonds and Wood (rap song)
- And he knew he was shife , he knew he was hype.
* 2004 , "Trae" (Frazier Thompson III), Let Me Live (rap song)
- These jealous niggas looking at me and my car so shife .
- Let me live my life, y'all know y'all ain't right. / Niggas be so shife , can I do one thang.
A parallel form of (sheave
), from a (etyl
) base which probably existed in (etyl
) (though is not attested before the Middle English period). Cognate with (etyl
) Scheibe, late (etyl
A slice, especially of bread.
* 1980 , Anthony Burgess, Earthly Powers :
(obsolete) A sheave.
A beam or plank of split wood.
A flat, wide cork for plugging a large hole.
- In my cool room with the shutters shut and the thin shives of air and light coming through the slats, I cried myself to sleep in an overloud selfpitying transport.
From a (etyl) base which probably existed in Old English (though is not attested before the Middle English period). Cognate with (etyl) Schebe, (etyl) scheef.
(obsolete) A splinter; a particle of fluff on the surface of cloth or other material.
(paper-makin) A particle of impurity in finished paper.
Variant of shiv.
* 2006 , Thomas Pynchon, Against the Day (Vintage 2007), page 50:
- So every alleyway down here, every shadow big enough to hide a shive artist with a grudge, is a warm invitation to rewrite history.
* 2010 , ,
A Life of Learning
- There are some cultural details in Schissel’s story that are specific to the Jewish community: the family sits shive (seven days of mourning for the dead), and the preference for silence at that time.
* sit shive