Unwanted software that comes pre-installed with personal computers.
* 2008 , "Can Apple's Best Topple the PC Competition?", Maximum PC , Future US, Inc. (ISSN 1522-4279), No. 96, page 26
* 2009 , Eric Griffith, "Make the Most of Your New PC", PC Mag , Ziff Davis Inc. (ISSN 0888-8507), Volume 28, No. 1, page 68
- We suspect that its extra pound of heft is made up entirely of crapware'—the Vaio ships with a ludicrous number of useless preinstalled applications. We understand the economic necessities of subsidizing inexpensive PCs with third-party ' crapware , but there's no excuse for whoring out a notebook of this price.
* 2011 , Guy Hart-Davis, The Healthy PC: Preventive Care, Home Remedies, and Green Computing, 2nd Edition , McGraw Hill Professional (ISBN 9780071752916)
- Big-name system vendors typically install software on their consumer PCs at the factory. These "extras" go by many names: bundleware, begware, bloatware, and my favorite, crapware. That's because a lot of it is just that: useless crap. A few vendors, like Sony and Dell, offer some options to avoid crapware , but usually just for small businesses. Boutique manufacturers, like Velocity Micro, do a better job of providing a clean system.
* 2012 , Woody Leonhard, Windows 8 All-in-One For Dummies , John Wiley & Sons (ISBN 9781118237991)
- All crapware' programs can be useful—but each program is likely to be useful to only a few of the people the PC manufacturer inflicts it on. The PC manufacturers claim they install ' crapware to provide useful software, but the real reason is that the software companies pay them to include it.
- I hate it when the computer I want comes loaded with all that nice, “free” crapware . I'd seriously consider paying more to get a clean computer. You don't need an antivirus and Internet security program preinstalled on your new PC. lt'll just open and beg for money next month. Windows 8 comes with Windows Defender, and it works great — for free. Browser toolbars? Puh-lease.
(computing, derogatory, vulgar) Software of exceptionally poor quality.
* cheeseware, coasterware, crapware, crudware