Tough vs Shife - What's the difference?
As adjectives the difference between tough and shife
is that tough
is strong and resilient; sturdy while shife
is (african american vernacular english) aggressive looking, tough.
As an interjection tough
is (slang) (used to indicate lack of sympathy
As a noun tough
is a person who obtains things by force; a thug or bully.
As a verb tough
is to endure.
Strong and resilient; sturdy.
(of food) Difficult to cut or chew.
- The tent, made of tough canvas, held up to many abuses.
Rugged or physically hardy.
- To soften a tough cut of meat, the recipe suggested simmering it for hours.
- Only a tough species will survive in the desert.
(of weather etc) Harsh or severe.
Rowdy or rough.
- He had a reputation as a tough negotiator.
Difficult or demanding.
- A bunch of the tough boys from the wrong side of the tracks threatened him.
(material science) Undergoing plastic deformation before breaking.
- This is a tough crowd.
* do it tough
* hang tough
* tough call
* tough case
* tough cookie
* tough crowd
* tough love
* tough luck
* tough nut to crack
* tough row to hoe
* tough shit
* tough titty
* tough toodles
* tough tuchus
(slang) (Used to indicate lack of sympathy)
- If you don't like it, tough !
A person who obtains things by force; a thug or bully.
- They were doing fine until they encountered a bunch of toughs from the opposition.
* tough it out
* tough out
(African American Vernacular English) aggressive looking, tough.
* 1991 , "Bust Down", Nasty Bitch (rap song)
* 1996 , "UGK" (Chad Butler and Bernard Freeman), Diamonds and Wood (rap song)
- And he knew he was shife , he knew he was hype.
* 2004 , "Trae" (Frazier Thompson III), Let Me Live (rap song)
- These jealous niggas looking at me and my car so shife .
- Let me live my life, y'all know y'all ain't right. / Niggas be so shife , can I do one thang.