Shire vs Shife - What's the difference?
As a noun shire
is former administrative area of britain; a county.
As a verb shire
is to (re]])constitute as one or more shires or [[county|counties.
As an adjective shife is
(african american vernacular english) aggressive looking, tough.
Former administrative area of Britain; a county.
(UK, colloquial) The general area in which a person lives, used in the context of travel within the UK.
- Yorkshire is the largest shire in England.
A rural or outer suburban local government area of Australia.
A shire horse.
- When are you coming back to the shire ?
To (re]])constitute as one or more shires or [[county, counties.
* 1985 , Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy , page 291:
* 2012 , James Lydon, The Making of Ireland: From Ancient Times to the Present (ISBN 1134981503), page 160:
- Although he still managed formally to shire the province in the summer and autumn of 1585, his plan to establish a presidential government and complete the integration of Ulster into English Ireland met with royal indifference.
- The province was shired into nine counties,
- County Longford was shired in 1586
(African American Vernacular English) aggressive looking, tough.
* 1991 , "Bust Down", Nasty Bitch (rap song)
* 1996 , "UGK" (Chad Butler and Bernard Freeman), Diamonds and Wood (rap song)
- And he knew he was shife , he knew he was hype.
* 2004 , "Trae" (Frazier Thompson III), Let Me Live (rap song)
- These jealous niggas looking at me and my car so shife .
- Let me live my life, y'all know y'all ain't right. / Niggas be so shife , can I do one thang.