Shard vs Shand - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between shard and shand
is that shard
is a piece of broken glass or pottery, especially one found in an archaeological dig or shard
can be the plant chard while shand
is shame; scandal; disgrace.
As a verb shard
is to fall apart into shards, usually as the result of impact or explosion.
As an adjective shand is
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
From (etyl), from (etyl) sceard . Akin to Dutch ).
A piece of broken glass or pottery, especially one found in an archaeological dig.
A piece of material, especially rock and similar materials, reminding of a broken piece of glass or pottery.
* 2014, (Paul Salopek), Blessed. Cursed. Claimed. , National Geographic (December 2014)[http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2014/12/pilgrim-roads/salopek-text]
A tough scale, sheath, or shell; especially an elytron of a beetle.
(online role-playing) An instance of an MMORPG that is one of several independent and structurally identical virtual worlds, none of which has so many players as to exhaust a system's resources.
* 1997 , Ultima Online''. The term "shard" is related to the backstory of the game, in which the Gem of Immortality is shattered by the Stranger, the protagonist of ''Ultima I .
- Inside its exhibit hall, behind panes of glass, in a white-lit lab, a team of restorers works on an ancient Byzantine floor: 44 square yards of stone shards rescued from Lot’s Cave Monastery.
- "The planet was still bound to the jewel's magic, even as it lay shattered upon the floor of Mondain's castle. For,(SIC) within each shattered remnant of the jewel, dwelled a perfect likeness of Sosaria. Thus is the world in which you are born, live, and die. Brittania(SIC), that was once Sosaria, now exists as a thousand worlds, each with its own peoples, history and destiny. This Brittania(SIC) is but one of many in the multiverse that is... ...ULTIMA ONLINE." - Intro cinematic to the game, written by Michael Morlan [http://michael-morlan.net/pages/production/prod_uo.htm]
* splinter (of glass)
To fall apart into shards, usually as the result of impact or explosion.
To break (something) into shards.
(online role-playing) To divide (an MMORPG) into several , or to establish a shard of one.
* (pottery) Shard'', in the ''Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary , Merriam-Webster, 1974 edition.
The plant chard.
Shame; scandal; disgrace.