Touched vs Sentimental - What's the difference?
As adjectives the difference between touched and sentimental
is that touched
is emotionally moved (by), made to feel emotion (by) while sentimental
is characterized by sentiment, sentimentality or excess emotion.
As a verb touched
Emotionally moved (by), made to feel emotion (by).
* 1845 , , Book 4, Chapter 1,
* 1868 , , Part 2, Chapter 42: All Alone,
- "They say her Majesty is more touched about these affairs of the Chartists than anything else," said Mr Egerton.
* 1883 , , Chapter XXI: A Tempest in a Cavern,
- “If there is anything good or true in what I write, it isn’t mine. I owe it all to you and Mother and Beth,” said Jo, more touched by her father’s words than by any amount of praise from the world.
Slightly mentally deficient; touched in the head.
* 1913 , , Part III, Chapter IV,
- “And you came to save me, Mr. Oliver,” answered Miss Campbell, more touched by the courage of the young man than the dangers which could still happen.
* 1922 , , Episode 8: The Lestrygonians,
- "Don't you see he is a lunatic, prince?" whispered Evgenie Pavlovitch in his ear. "Someone told me just now that he is a bit touched on the subject of lawyers, that he has a mania for making speeches and intends to pass the examinations. I am expecting a splendid burlesque now."
- All a bit touched . Mad Fanny and his other sister Mrs Dickinson driving about with scarlet harness.
* (moved) affected, emotional, moved
* (slightly mentally deficient) retarded (offensive ), touched in the head
characterized by sentiment, sentimentality or excess emotion
derived from emotion rather than reason; of or caused by sentiment
* 1885 : ,
*: Are you in sentimental mood?
*: I'll sigh with you.
* 1944 : ,
*: Gonna take a Sentimental Journey,
*: Gonna set my heart at ease.
*: Gonna make a Sentimental Journey,
*: to renew old memories.