Haft vs Semi - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between haft and semi
is that haft
is custody, imprisonment while semi
is (uk|australia|canada) a semi-detached house.
From (etyl) .
The handle of a tool or weapon.
- This brandish'd dagger / I'll bury to the haft in her fair breast.
* hilt (sword handle )
* stale, stail, stele, steal (axe handle )
To fit a handle to a tool or weapon.
From (etyl) .
(Northern English dialect) A piece of mountain pasture to which a farm animal has become hefted.
(UK, Australia, Canada) A semi-detached house.
* 2008 , Elliott Placks, quoted in Helen Isbister, Morris Bryant, Property , Career FAQs, Australia,
* 2008 , Barry Goodchild, Homes, Cities and Neighbourhoods: Planning and the Residential Landscapes of Modern Britain ,
- I?m selling two side-by-side semis that are currently under construction, a waterfront apartment and a house in Rose Bay.
A semitrailer; a tractor-trailer; an eighteen-wheeler.
* 2011 , Eamonn Duff, Schapelle Corby: The Untold Story Behind Her Ill-Fated Drug Run , Allen & Unwin, Australia,
- The smaller semis of the 1920s and 1930s were closely related to the three bedroom pre-1919 narrow fronted terraces, at least to the larger pre-1919 terraces.
(slang) A partial erection.
* 2010 , Mickey Erlach, Video Boys (page 158)
- All night we couldn?t hear each other speak because of the sound of semis changing gear to get over the hill.
- The twink got a semi just from that look.