From (etyl) , from (etyl) revisio.
(uncountable) The process of revising:
# The action or process of reviewing, editing and amending.
#* 2002 , James D. Lester, James D. Lester, Jr, Writing Research Papers ,
#* 2004 , Mara Kalnins (editor), Note on the Text'', Joseph Conrad, ''Victory: An Island Tale ,
- Revision can turn a passable paper into an excellent one and change an excellent one into a radiant one.
#* 2010 , , Franz Guenthner (editors), Handbook of Philosophical Logic , Volume 16,
- The full history of its composition, revision , transmission, and publication is a complex and intricate one beyond the necessarily limited scope of this Note,.
# (UK, Australia, New Zealand) The action or process of reviewing something previously learned, especially one?s notes in preparation for a test or examination.
- Many formalisms for belief revision use extraneous mechanisms for deciding what beliefs to keep and this makes it harder to iterate the process.
#* 2008', Philip A. Kalra (editor), ''
- All that last minute revision really paid off in the exam! I got top marks!
Essential '''Revision Notes in Medicine for Students , Volume 1.
(countable) A changed edition, or new version; a modification.
* 2004 , Robert McConnell Productions, Henry M. Robert, Robert?s Rules of Order: Simplified and Applied ,
* 1992 , Helen Baron, Carl Baron (editors), Introduction'', ''The Cambridge Edition of the Works of D. H, Lawrence: Sons and Lovers , Part 1, 2002 paperback edition, Cambridge University Press,
- The first thing members need to understand about a revision' is that the current bylaws are not under consideration at all. If the ' revision is defeated, no changes to the current bylaws take place.
* 2008''', World Bank, ' ,
- However, it is evident in a minority of cases that a revision by Lawrence is prompted solely by the need to remedy some local effect caused by Garnett?s deletion, and there, clearly, Lawrence?s MS text is, in principle, to be preferred.
* 2012 , Bill Fane, David Byrnes, AutoCAD 2013 For Dummies ,
- Previous editions of World Development Indicators'' used revision''' 2, first published in 1948. '''Revision''' 3 was completed in 1989, and many countries now use it. But ' revision 2 is still widely used for compiling cross-country data.
(countable) A story corrected or expanded by a writer commissioned by the original author.
- Include the revision number'. You may need to add a triangle and number, shown in Figure 9-6, to indicate the ' revision number.
- A revision story
* review (US)
To provide with a new vision.
- What philosophy needs is to be revisioned with a more hopeful, engaged inspirational point of view.
* secuer (obsolete)
Free from attack or danger; protected.
Free from the danger of theft; safe.
Free from the risk of eavesdropping, interception or discovery; secret.
Free from anxiety or doubt; unafraid.
Firm and not likely to fail; stable.
Free from the risk of financial loss; reliable.
Confident in opinion; not entertaining, or not having reason to entertain, doubt; certain; sure; commonly used with of .
- But thou, secure of soul, unbent with woes.
- secure of a welcome
Overconfident; incautious; careless.
- Confidence then bore thee on, secure / Either to meet no danger, or to find / Matter of glorious trial.
To make safe; to relieve from apprehensions of, or exposure to, danger; to guard; to protect.
To put beyond hazard of losing or of not receiving; to make certain; to assure; frequently with against'' or ''from'', or formerly with ''of .
- I spread a cloud before the victor's sight, / Sustained the vanquished, and secured his flight.
* T. Dick
- to secure''' a creditor against loss; to '''secure a debt by a mortgage
To make fast; to close or confine effectually; to render incapable of getting loose or escaping.
- It secures its possessor of eternal happiness.
To get possession of; to make oneself secure of; to acquire certainly.
- to secure''' a prisoner; to '''secure a door, or the hatches of a ship
* 2014 , Jamie Jackson, "
- to secure an estate
Ángel di María says Manchester United were the ‘only club’ after Real", The Guardian , 26 August 2014:
- With the Argentinian secured United will step up their attempt to sign a midfielder and, possibly, a defender in the closing days of the transfer window. Juventus’s Arturo Vidal, Milan’s Nigel de Jong and Ajax’s Daley Blind, who is also a left-sided defensive player, are potential targets.
* , chapter=3
- "[Captain] was able to secure some good photographs of the fortress."
(Flight, 1911, p. 766)
The Mirror and the Lamp
, passage=One saint's day in mid-term a certain newly appointed suffragan-bishop came to the school chapel, and there preached on “The Inner Life.” He at once secured
attention by his informal method, and when presently the coughing of Jarvis […] interrupted the sermon, he altogether captivated his audience with a remark about cough lozenges being cheap and easily procurable.}}