Toe vs Scutellum - What's the difference?
As a pronoun toe
As a noun scutellum is
any of several shield-shaped structures in insects, grasses etc.
Each of the five digits on the end of the foot.
An equivalent part in an animal.
That part of a shoe or sock covering the toe.
Something resembling a toe, especially at the bottom or extreme end of something.
- (golf) the extreme end of the head of a club.
- (cricket) the tip of the bat farthest from the handle
- (kayaking) the bow; the front of the kayak.
(dance) An advanced form of ballet primarily for the females, dancing ballet primarily using a Pointe shoe.
An alignment of the wheels of a road vehicle with positive toe' (or '''toe''' in) signifying that the wheels are closer together at the front than at the back and negative '''toe''' (or ' toe out) the opposite.
(engineering) The journal, or pivot, at the lower end of a revolving shaft or spindle, which rests in a step.
(engineering) A lateral projection at one end, or between the ends, of a piece, such as a rod or bolt, by means of which it is moved.
(engineering) A projection from the periphery of a revolving piece, acting as a cam to lift another piece.
(carpentry) the long side of an angled cut
- (geology) a bulbous protrusion at the front of a lava flow
* (an equivalent part in an animal) hoof
* (each of the five digits on the end of the foot) heel
* (front of the kayak) tail
* (angled cut in carpentry) heel
* (each of the five digits on the end of the foot)
*: hallux, big toe, great toe
*: second toe, long toe
*: third toe, middle toe
*: fourth toe, ring toe
*: fifth toe, little toe, pinky toe, baby toe
* (each of the five digits on the end of the foot) foot
* (each of the five digits on the end of the foot) nail
* toe jump
* toe ring
* toe stop
* (each of the five digits on the end of the foot) finger
To furnish with a toe.
To touch, tap or kick with the toes.
, date=December 29
, author=Mark Vesty
, title=Wigan 2 - 2 Arsenal
, passage=Just five minutes later the turnaround was complete when Arshavin toed
the ball through to Bendtner, who slotted into the left corner from close range just before half-time. }}
To touch or reach with the toes; to come fully up to.
(construction) To fasten (a piece) by driving a fastener at a near-45-degree angle through the side (of the piece) into the piece to which it is to be fastened.
- to toe the mark
(golf) To mishit a golf ball with the toe of the club.
- The framers toed the irregular pieces into the sill.
* toe the line
* hang five
* hang ten
Any of several shield-shaped structures in insects, grasses etc
# (lichenology) A rounded apothecium having an elevated rim formed of the proper thallus, the fructification of certain lichens.
# (zoology) The third of the four pieces forming the upper part of a thoracic segment of an insect. It follows the scutum, and is followed by the small postscutellum.
# (zoology) One of the transverse scales on the tarsi and toes of birds.