Waft vs Scurry - What's the difference?
As verbs the difference between waft and scurry
is that waft
is (ergative) to (cause to) float easily or gently through the air while scurry
is to run away with quick light steps, to scamper.
As a noun waft
is a light breeze.
(ergative) To (cause to) float easily or gently through the air.
* A breeze came in through the open window and wafted her sensuous perfume into my eager nostrils.
* 1922 , (James Joyce), Chapter 13
* 1914 , Hugh G. Evelyn-White’s translation of Hymn to Aphrodite from the .[http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.01.0138%3Ahymn%3D6]
- Through the open window of the church the fragrant incense was wafted and with it the fragrant names of her who was conceived without stain of original sin…
To be moved, or to pass, on a buoyant medium; to float.
- There the moist breath of the western wind wafted her over the waves of the loud-moaning sea in soft foam, and there the gold-filleted Hours welcomed her joyously.
To give notice to by waving something; to wave the hand to; to beckon.
- And now the shouts waft near the citadel.
- But soft: who wafts us yonder?
A light breeze.
Something (a scent or odor), such as a perfume, that is carried through the air.
* 1908 ,
* 2010 September, "The SLM'' Calendar", , ISSN 1090-5723, volume 16, issue 9, page 170:
- Meanwhile, the wafts from his old home pleaded, whispered, conjured, and finally claimed him imperiously.
(nautical) A flag, (also called a waif or wheft), used to indicate wind direction or, with a knot tied in the center, as a signal.
- Patrol Magazine says of this Oxford, Miss., band: "Guitars are responsible for every noise in Colour Revolt's mix—not a single note of piano, waft of synthesizer, or evidence of electronic tampering are to be found."
To run away with quick light steps, to scamper.
* 1964 ,
- Then the piglet tore loose from the creepers and scurried into the undergrowth.
* scurry away
* scurry off