Screwball vs Goofball - What's the difference?
Screwball is a see also of goofball.
As nouns the difference between screwball and goofball
is that screwball
is (baseball) a pitch thrown with added pressure by the index finger and a twisting wrist motion resulting in a motion to the right when thrown by a right-handed pitcher while goofball
is (informal|derogatory) a foolish or silly person.
As adjectives the difference between screwball and goofball
is that screwball
is (originally us) crazy, offbeat, bizarre, zany, or weird while goofball
(baseball) A pitch thrown with added pressure by the index finger and a twisting wrist motion resulting in a motion to the right when thrown by a right-handed pitcher.
(US) One who behaves in a crazy manner.
- The screwball is not thrown much because it tends to damage pitcher's arms.
- I will not listen to this screwball any longer.
(originally US) Crazy, offbeat, bizarre, zany, or weird.
* 2013 , Tom Shone, Oscar nominations pull a surprise by showing some taste – but will it last?'' (in ''The Guardian , 11 January 2013)[http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2013/jan/11/oscar-nominations-surprise-taste]
- Also a big hand for Silver Linings Playbook , an exuberant modern screwball comedy we had, in an unseemly fit of cynicism, deemed "too entertaining" for Academy voters.
* screwball comedy
(informal, derogatory) A foolish or silly person.
(informal) A pill or tablet containing a pharmaceutical which has hypnotic or intoxicating effects, especially a barbiturate.
* 1953 April 27, "
- If that goofball would put half the effort into her studies as she does into her juggling, she might do very well.
Capsules," Time :
- Strong Cobb & Co. of Cleveland announced a new barbiturate which in overlarge doses will turn the stomachs of "goofball " addicts and would-be suicides.
- He announced, with his usual goofball humor, that he'd like to marry me!