As a noun stain
As an adjective safranophile is
(of cells) easily stained with safranine.
A discoloured spot or area.
A blemish on one's character or reputation.
A substance used to soak into a surface and colour it.
A reagent or dye used to stain microscope specimens so as to make some structures visible.
* Giemsa stain
* Leishman stain
* Romanowsky stain
* Wright-Giemse stain
* Wright's stain
To discolour something
- to stain the hand with dye
To taint or tarnish someone's character or reputation
- armour stained with blood
To coat a surface with a stain
- Of honour void, / Of innocence, of faith, of purity, / Our wonted ornaments now soiled and stained .
- to stain wood with acids, coloured washes, paint rubbed in, etc.
To treat a microscope specimen with a dye
To cause to seem inferior or soiled by comparison.
* Beaumont and Fletcher
- the stained glass used for church windows
- She stains the ripest virgins of her age.
- that did all other beasts in beauty stain
(of cells) easily stained with safranine