Jew vs Sabian - What's the difference?
As a verb jew
is (offensive) to bargain, to attempt to gain an unfair price in a business deal; to defraud.
As a noun sabian is
one of a group (which is mentioned in the koran) that is entitled to muslim religious toleration, along with jews and christians (usually identified with the mandaeans or the elkesaites).
An adherent of Judaism.
A person who claims a cultural or ancestral connection to the Jewish people (see secular Jew).
* William Shakespeare The Merchant of Venice (Act III, scene I)
- I don't have a religion, but my sister is a Jew and my brother is a Wiccan.
- Hath not a Jew' eyes? Hath not a ' Jew hands, organs
- dimensions, senses, affections, passions; fed with
- the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject
- to the same diseases, heal'd by the same means,
- warm'd and cool'd by the same winter and summer
- as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed?
- If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us,
- do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?
* The Jewish community overall has a common religion, culture, identity, and ethnicity, but individual Jews do not necessarily share all of these; therefore, a person might be a Jew by one standpoint but not by another.
* Additionally, there are some religious groups that identify themselves as part of Judaism, but that other Jewish groups might not; hence, use of the term Jew often depends on the speaker's opinions.
* The noun Jew'' is not offensive, and the overwhelming majority of English-speaking Jews use the noun ''Jew to identify themselves.
* That said, it has become offensive for historical reasons to use the word Jew'' attributively, in modifying another noun (as in "Jew lawyer"); the adjective ''Jewish is preferred for this purpose.
* Additionally, the derived verbs jew'' and ''jew down are considered offensive, as they reflect stereotypes considered offensive.
* religionist, Abrahamist. theist, creationist
* Jewess (qualifier)
* Hebrew (dated)
* Yahudi (quranic)
* Israelite (dated)
* kike (derogatory)
* Moses (qualifier)
* yid (derogatory)
* heeb (derogatory)
* sheeny (derogatory)
* hymie (derogatory)
* Wandering Jew
one of a group (which is mentioned in the Koran) that is entitled to Muslim religious toleration, along with Jews and Christians (usually identified with the Mandaeans or the Elkesaites)