As nouns the difference between opposite and sabbatia
is that opposite
is something opposite or contrary to another while sabbatia
is , a genus of smooth slender north american herbs (family gentianaceae) with opposite leaves and showy white or rose-pink cymose flowers.
As an adjective opposite
is located directly across from something else, or from each other.
As an adverb opposite
is in an opposite position.
As a preposition opposite
is facing, or across from.
* (l) (archaic)
Located directly across from something else, or from each other.
Facing in the other direction.
- She saw him walking on the opposite side of the road.
Of either of two complementary or mutually exclusive things.
- They were moving in opposite directions.
Extremely different; inconsistent; contrary; repugnant; antagonistic.
- He has a lot of success with the opposite sex.
* John Locke
- Novels, by which the reader is misled into another sort of pieasure opposite to that which is designed in an epic poem.
- Particles of speech have divers, and sometimes almost opposite , significations.
* opposite sex
Something opposite or contrary to another.
(mathematics) An additive inverse.
- "Up" is the opposite of "down".
* opposites attract
In an opposite position.
- I was on my seat and she stood opposite .
Facing, or across from.
*:It was April 22, 1831, and a young man was walking down Whitehall in the direction of Parliament Street.. He halted opposite the Privy Gardens, and, with his face turned skywards, listened until the sound of the Tower guns smote again on the ear and dispelled his doubts.
In a complementary role to.
, a genus of smooth slender North American herbs (family Gentianaceae) with opposite leaves and showy white or rose-pink cymose flowers
a plant of this genus