Semitic vs Sabaean - What's the difference?
As adjectives the difference between semitic and sabaean
is that semitic
is of or pertaining to a subdivision of afro-asiatic : amharic, arabic, aramaic, syriac, akkadian, hebrew, maltese, tigrigna, phoenician etc while sabaean
is of or pertaining to sabaean culture.
As a proper noun semitic
is the semitic languages in general.
As a noun sabaean is
an extinct semitic language spoken in sheba.
* semitic, Shemitic, shemitic
Of or pertaining to a subdivision of Afro-Asiatic : Amharic, Arabic, Aramaic, Syriac, Akkadian, Hebrew, Maltese, Tigrigna, Phoenician etc.
Of or pertaining to the Semites; of or pertaining to one or more Semitic peoples.
* 2008 , Gary A. Tobin, The Trouble with Textbooks , page 93:
# (biblical) Of or pertaining to the descendants of .
# (in particular) Of or pertaining to the Israeli, Jewish, or Hebrew people.
# Of or pertaining to any of the religions which originated among the Semites; Abrahamic.
#* 1893 , George Thomas Bettany, Mohammedanism and Other Religions of Mediterranean Countries , page 45:
- On the other hand, scholars say that the Philistines were an Indo-European people not related to the Semitic Palestinians.
#* 2011 , Makau Mutua, ''Human Rights: A Political and Cultural Critique, page 114:
- Thus we trace ever and again the similarities which are to be found among the Semitic religions.
#* 2005 , Xavier William, World Religions, True Beliefs and New Age Spirituality , page 45:
- The Semitic religions (Christianity and Islam) are nationally honored in much of Africa.
- In contrast to these Semitic religions some religions of Indian origin like Buddhism and Jainism, are pacifist to the extent of banning the killing of animals even for food.
Of or pertaining to Sabaean culture.
An extinct Semitic language spoken in Sheba.
(history) An individual that is part of the ancient Sabaean people.