Ankle vs Rocket - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between ankle and rocket
is that ankle
is the skeletal joint which connects the foot with the leg; the uppermost portion of the foot and lowermost portion of the leg, which contain this skeletal joint while rocket
is a rocket engine or rocket
can be the leaf vegetable eruca sativa'' or ''eruca vesicaria
As verbs the difference between ankle and rocket
is that ankle
is (us|slang) to walk while rocket
is to accelerate swiftly and powerfully.
* ancle (obsolete)
The skeletal joint which connects the foot with the leg; the uppermost portion of the foot and lowermost portion of the leg, which contain this skeletal joint.
* ankle slapper
* ankle walker
* show ankle
(US, slang) To walk.
* 2009 , Thomas Pynchon, Inherent Vice , Vintage 2010, p. 275:
(cycling) To cyclically angle the foot at the ankle while pedaling, to maximize the amount of work applied to the pedal during each revolution.
- After a while he got up and ankled his way down the corridor and met Penny coming out of the toilet.
From (etyl) rocchetta, from (etyl) . More at .
A rocket engine.
(military) A non-guided missile propelled by a rocket engine.
A vehicle propelled by a rocket engine.
A rocket propelled firework, a skyrocket
(slang) An ace (the playing card).
An angry communication (such as a letter or telegram) to a subordinate.
* 1980 , David Schoenbrun, Soldiers of the Night: The Story of , Dutton, ISBN 9780525206637, page 203,
A blunt lance head used in jousting.
- While [Colonel Robert] Solborg and [Jacques] Lemaigre[-Dubreuil] were dreaming of revolts, had learned of Solborg’s insubordination and meddling. He sent him a “rocket ” ordering him out of North Africa and back to Lisbon at once. Solborg flew to Lisbon and then on to Washington to face out his problem with Donovan.
* chemical rocket
* Congreve rocket
* hybrid rocket
* liquid rocket
* nuclear rocket
* rocket belt
* rocket car
* rocket launcher
* rocket plane
* rocket science
* rocket ship
* rocket stage
* snot rocket
* solid rocket
* space rocket
* thermal rocket
* water rocket
* Watkins, Calvert (2000). The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots'' 2nd edn., p. ,72, s.v. ''ruk- . Boston: Houghton Mifflin, ISBN 978-0-618-08250-6.
* Weisenberg, Michael (2000).
The Official Dictionary of Poker. MGI/Mike Caro University. ISBN 978-1880069523.
To accelerate swiftly and powerfully
To fly vertically
To rise or soar rapidly
To carry something in a rocket
To attack something with rockets
(etyl) roquette, (etyl) ruchetta, diminutive of ruca, (etyl) eruca. Cognate to (arugula).
The leaf vegetable Eruca sativa'' or ''Eruca vesicaria .
* (US) arugula
* rocket salad