Spitroast vs Roast - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between spitroast and roast
is that spitroast
is while roast
is a cut of meat suited to roasting.
As a verb roast is
(transitive|or|intransitive|or|ergative) to cook food by heating in an oven or over a fire without covering, resulting in a crisp, possibly even slightly charred appearance.
As an adjective roast is
having been cooked by roasting.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
(transitive, or, intransitive, or, ergative) To cook food by heating in an oven or over a fire without covering, resulting in a crisp, possibly even slightly charred appearance.
To cook by surrounding with hot embers, ashes, sand, etc.
- to roast meat on a spit
* Francis Bacon
- to roast a potato in ashes
(transitive, or, intransitive, or, ergative) To process by drying through exposure to sun or artificial heat
- In eggs boiled and roasted there is scarce difference to be discerned.
- Coffee beans need roasting before use.
To heat to excess; to heat violently; to burn.
- to roast chestnuts or peanuts
(figuratively) To admonish someone vigorously
- roasted in wrath and fire
(figuratively) To subject to bantering, severely criticize, sometimes as a comedy routine.
- I’m late home for the fourth time this week; my mate will really roast me this time.
(metalworking) To dissipate by heat the volatile parts of, as ores.
- The class clown enjoys being roasted by mates as well as staff.
* (to cook) bake, boil, broil, fry, grill, poach, toast
* roasting ear
* roasting jack
A cut of meat suited to roasting
A meal consisting of roast foods.
The degree to which something, especially coffee, is roasted.
(Originally fraternal) A comical event where a person is subjected to verbal attack, yet may be praised by sarcasm and jokes.
- Dark roast''' means that the coffee bean has been roasted to a higher temperature and for a longer period of time than in light '''roast .
* nut roast
having been cooked by roasting
(figuratively) subjected to roasting, bantered, severely criticized