Rie vs Rive - What's the difference?
As verbs the difference between rie and rive
is that rie
is while rive
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
To tear apart by force; to split; to cleave.
* (William Shakespeare) (c.1564–1616)
To pierce or cleave with a weapon.
- I have seen tempests, when the scolding winds / Have rived the knotty oaks
(label) To break apart; to split.
* 1590 , (Edmund Spenser), (The Faerie Queen) , II.vi:
- And therwith she toke the swerd from her loue that lay ded and fylle to the ground in a swowne / And whan she aroos she made grete dole out of mesure / the whiche sorowe greued Balyn passyngly sore / and he wente vnto her for to haue taken the swerd oute of her h?d butsodenly she sette the pomell to the ground / and rofe her self thorow the body
- The varlet at his plaint was grieu'd so sore, / That his deepe wounded hart in two did riue .
In woodworking, to use a technique of splitting or sawing wood radially from a log (e.g. clapboards).
- Freestone rives , splits, and breaks in any direction.
* (to rend asunder) cleave, rend, split
A place torn; a rent; a rift.
* (a place torn) rent, rift