Caucasus vs Rioni - What's the difference?
As proper nouns the difference between caucasus and rioni
is that caucasus
is a mountain range in eastern europe and west asia, between the black sea and the caspian sea, on the territory of russia, georgia, armenia and azerbaijan, which includes the ranges of greater caucasus and lesser caucasus while rioni
is the main river of western georgia, originating in the caucasus mountains, in the region of racha, it flows west to the black sea and empties into it north of the port of poti the city of kutaisi is on its banks known as phasis to classical authors.
(en proper noun
a mountain range in Eastern Europe and West Asia, between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea, on the territory of Russia, Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan, which includes the ranges of Greater Caucasus and Lesser Caucasus
* 1851 , Lieutenant Maturin Murray, The Circassian Slave, or The Sultan's Favorite :
* 1887 , Walter Savage Landor, Gebir :
* 1895 , Robert W. Chambers, The King In Yellow :
- Driven with that weak blast which Winter leaves, / Closing his palace gates on Caucasus , /
(geopolitical) The Eurasian region home of the aforementioned mountain range.
- Germany, Italy, Spain and Belgium writhed in the throes of Anarchy, while Russia, watching from the Caucasus , stooped and bound them one by one.
Usually as the Caucasus , but not always (see quot. 1887)
(en proper noun
The main river of western Georgia, originating in the Caucasus Mountains, in the region of Racha, it flows west to the Black Sea and empties into it north of the port of Poti. The city of Kutaisi is on its banks. Known as Phasis to classical authors.