Lief vs Rief - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between lief and rief
is that lief
is body while rief
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
(archaic) beloved, dear, agreeable
(archaic, except UK dialectal) Readily, willingly.
* 1869 , RD Blackmoore, Lorna Doone , II:
- these great masters of the art, who would far liefer see us little ones practice it, than themselves engage [...].
- I'd as lief have one as t'other.
* (l), (l)
* 1567 July 19, Proclamation by the Earl of Bedford'', quoted in ''Calendar of State Papers, foreign series, of the Reign of Elizabeth, 1566-8 (1871), volume 10:
* 1822 , Alexander Peterkin, Notes on Orkney and Zetland , page 61:
- [The earl] commands all within his charge to abstain from reiving or stealing from the subjects of Scotland. For such riefs as have been made upon them, the Queen minds to have the same mended by justice.
* (rfdate) James Taylor, The Pictorial History of Scotland , volume 2, page 133:
- here the record is quite defaced and worn out, insomuch that only the words of the charge, viz. extortions, insolvencies, riefs , and oppressions, can be discovered
- Murders, riefs , and spoliations became more common on the Borders after this raid than they had ever been before.