Rief vs Rie - What's the difference?
As a noun rief
As a verb rie is
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
* 1567 July 19, Proclamation by the Earl of Bedford'', quoted in ''Calendar of State Papers, foreign series, of the Reign of Elizabeth, 1566-8 (1871), volume 10:
* 1822 , Alexander Peterkin, Notes on Orkney and Zetland , page 61:
- [The earl] commands all within his charge to abstain from reiving or stealing from the subjects of Scotland. For such riefs as have been made upon them, the Queen minds to have the same mended by justice.
* (rfdate) James Taylor, The Pictorial History of Scotland , volume 2, page 133:
- here the record is quite defaced and worn out, insomuch that only the words of the charge, viz. extortions, insolvencies, riefs , and oppressions, can be discovered
- Murders, riefs , and spoliations became more common on the Borders after this raid than they had ever been before.