Refracts vs Retracts - What's the difference?
As verbs the difference between refracts and retracts
is that refracts
) while retracts
(of light) To change direction as a result of entering a different medium
(optics) To cause (light) to change direction as a result of entering a different medium.
- A prism can refract light.
To pull back inside.
(ambitransitive) To draw back; to draw up.
- An airplane retracts its wheels for flight.
- Muscles retract after amputation.
To take back or withdraw something one has said.
- A cat can retract its claws.
* Bishop Stillingfleet
- I retract all the accusations I made about the senator and sincerely hope he won't sue me.
- I would as freely have retracted this charge of idolatry as I ever made it.
To take back, as a grant or favour previously bestowed; to revoke.
- She will, and she will not; she grants, denies, / Consents, retracts , advances, and then flies.
* take back