(transitive, intransitive, computing) to transfer data or files from a peripheral or subordinate system to a larger or more central one; especially from a personal computer to an Internet server.
- You will have to convert your photograph to a jpg format if you wish to upload it.
* UL , ul , (abbreviation)
Such a file transfer.
* UL , ul , (abbreviation)
A summary or synopsis.
* 1919 , (Saki) (Hector Hugh Munro), ‘Excepting Mrs. Pentherby’, The Toys of Peace :
* 1978 , Royal Society of South Australia, Transactions of the Royal Society of South Australia , Volumes 102-103,
- On one occasion Mrs. Val Gwepton, who was not blessed with the most reposeful of temperaments, fairly let herself go, and gave Mrs. Pentherby a vivid and truthful résumé of her opinion of her.
* 1999 , The Guardian , 14 Jun 1999:
- A résumé of diagnostic characters of the five families represented in Australia is also given, and a list of the 19 genera described from Australia is included
* 2005 , Tony Martin, Lolly Scramble: A Memoir of Little Consequence , Pan Macmillan Australia,
- However, a brief résumé of recent weddings, royal and otherwise, reveals that Edward and Sophie's big day could be in danger of being badly out of step.
* 2006 , Helen Borger, Human Resources , Career FAQs, Australia,
- It was this piffling résumé that accompanied me to Auckland, where I hoped to get a foot in with the city?s biggest ‘nonprofessional’ theatre group, the New Independent.
* 2011 , Monica Makari, How to Find a Job in Australia , Revised edition, How to...Books, Australia,
- Résumés have a particular structure that you should follow – it?s what you say in it that makes yours stand out from the rest.
- A well written CV (Curriculum Vitae) or résumé is the most important document when looking for a job, your first opportunity to present yourself and it can open or close the door to an interview.
, date=May 20
, author=Nathan Rabin
, title=TV: Review: THE SIMPSONS (CLASSIC): “Marge Gets A Job” (season 4, episode 7; originally aired 11/05/1992)
, work=The Onion AV Club
, passage=Fortuitously, Marge is looking for a job after an endless hiatus from the working world. After Lisa helps her mother “polish” up her résumé' so that she now appears to be the most accomplished woman in the world, Marge lands a job at the power plant operating a machine her ridiculously padded ' résumé
claims she helped invent.}}
* 1995 , Gary Wolf, "The Curse of Xanadu",
- The match between Stiegler and Xanadu was doubly unlikely; not only was Stiegler happily unemployed, but the Xanadu programmers did not seem to place high value on management personnel. As Stiegler tells it, the original plan during the first days at Autodesk was to get somebody with a good résumé and stick him in a closet until somebody from Autodesk came to visit, at which point the obedient manager could be trotted out to prove that the hackers were under control. This was hardly Stiegler's style.
* (account of education and employment) curriculum vitae, CV
* (summary or synopsis)
* In Canada, is the only spelling given by the Gage Canadian Dictionary (1997 edition).
* In the US, there are three major spellings of this word: , and (resume). All three are in common usage and all three are occasionally contested. The usual justification for each is usually as follows:
** (resume) is an acceptable spelling, because modern English does not usually have diacritic marks except when borrowing terms or as an optional spelling to indicate a breach of standard pronunciation rules. Compare (cafe), (emigre), (nee), and (fiance), all of which are commonly spelled with and without accent marks. The spelling resume is more likely to be found on the web due to the limits of ASCII character encoding and the US English keyboard.
** , where there is no etymological precedent for the accent. The acute accent over the first (e), on the other hand, serves no function in English.
* Certain other French words with two accented instead, which may affect the perception of the correctness of the two spellings of the term.