Clog vs Restrain - What's the difference?
Clog is a synonym of restrain.
As verbs the difference between clog and restrain
is that clog
is to block or slow passage through (often with 'up'
) while restrain
is to control or keep in check.
As a noun clog
is a type of shoe with an inflexible, often wooden sole sometimes with an open heel.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
A type of shoe with an inflexible, often wooden sole sometimes with an open heel.
- Dutch people rarely wear clog s these days.
(UK, colloquial) A shoe of any type.
* 1987 , :
- The plumber cleared the clog from the drain.
A weight, such as a log or block of wood, attached to a person or animal to hinder motion.
- Withnail: I let him in this morning. He lost one of his clog s.
- As a dog by chance breaks loose, / And quits his clog .
That which hinders or impedes motion; an encumbrance, restraint, or impediment of any kind.
- A clog of lead was round my feet.
- All the ancient, honest, juridical principles and institutions of England are so many clogs to check and retard the headlong course of violence and oppression.
* clogs to clogs in three generations
* pop one's clogs
To block or slow passage through (often with 'up' ).
- Hair is clogging the drainpipe.
To encumber or load, especially with something that impedes motion; to hamper.
- The roads are clogged up with traffic.
To burden; to trammel; to embarrass; to perplex.
- The wings of winds were clogged with ice and snow.
- The commodities are clogged with impositions.
- You'll rue the time / That clogs me with this answer.
To control or keep in check.
To deprive of liberty.
To restrict or limit.
, author=George Monbiot, authorlink=George Monbiot
, title=Money just makes the rich suffer
, volume=188, issue=23, page=19
, magazine=(The Guardian Weekly
, passage=In order to grant the rich these pleasures, the social contract is reconfigured. […] The public realm is privatised, the regulations restraining
the ultra-wealthy and the companies they control are abandoned, and Edwardian levels of inequality are almost fetishised.}}