Qualification vs Rating - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between qualification and rating
is that qualification
is a clause or condition which qualifies something; a modification, a limitation while rating
is a position on a scale.
As a verb rating is
A clause or condition which qualifies something; a modification, a limitation.
The act or process of qualifying for a position, achievement etc.
- I accept your offer, but with the following qualification .
(obsolete) A quality or attribute.
*1714 , (Bernard Mandeville), The Fable of the Bees :
*:To shew, that these Qualfications , which we all pretend to be asham'd of, are the great support of a flourishing Society has been the subject of the foregoing Poem.
An ability or attribute that aids someone's chances of qualifying for something; specifically, completed professional training.
- Qualification for this organization is extraordinarily difficult.
- What are your qualifications for this job?
* qualification problem
A position on a scale
An evaluation of status, especially of financial status
A number, letter, or other mark that refers to the ability of something.
- They have a poor credit rating .
(nautical) A seaman in a warship
*2014 , BBC News,
- He has a high chess rating .
Huge Russian warship fascinates French in Saint-Nazaire
*:Some 400 Russian ratings are living in the western French port, awaiting delivery of their controversial new command-and-control ship, the Vladivostok.
(nautical) The status of a seaman, corresponding to rank in officers.
* In the Royal Navy the ratings, in order, are:- ordinary seaman, able seaman, leading seaman, petty officer and chief petty officer