Ton vs Quintal - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between ton and quintal
is that ton
is lineage, ancestry while quintal
is a measure of weight originally equal to a hundred pounds; later, a hundredweight.
Variant of .
A unit of weight (mass) equal to 2240 pounds (a long ton) or 2000 pounds (a short ton) or 1000 kilograms (a metric ton).
A unit of volume; register ton.
In refrigeration and air conditioning, a unit of thermal power defined as 12,000 BTU/ (about 3.514 kW or 3024 kcal/h), originally the rate of cooling provided by uniform isothermal melting of one short ton of ice per day at 32 °F (0 °C).
(colloquial, hyperbole) A large amount.
- I’ve got a ton of work to do.
(slang) A speed of 100 mph.
(slang) One hundred pounds sterling.
(cricket) One hundred runs.
(darts) One hundred points.
- I've got tons of work to do.
* (large amount) heap, load, pile
* (one-hundred runs) century
* See also
* displacement ton
* long ton
* measurement ton
* metric ton (tonne)
* register ton
* short ton
From (etyl) , from (etyl) tonus.
Fashion, the current style, the vogue.
Fashionable society; those in style.
- If our people of ton are selfish, at any rate they show they are selfish.
The common tunny, or house mackerel.
A measure of weight originally equal to a hundred pounds; later, a hundredweight.
* 2011 , Thomas Penn, Winter King , Penguin 2012, page 204:
One hundred kilograms.
- In one import license alone, the merchant in question was instructed to bring in 13,000 quintals of alum, which, snapped up by industries in England and the Low Countries, would yield the king a cool £8,666 13s 4d.