Quaaltagh vs Qualtagh - What's the difference?
| Alternative forms
Quaaltagh is an alternative form of qualtagh.
Not English Quaaltagh has no English definition. It may be misspelled.
English words similar to 'quaaltagh':qualtagh
The first person one encounters, either after leaving one's home or (sometimes) outside one's home, especially on New Year's Day.
* 1892 , John Rhys, Manx Folk-lore and superstitions'', in ''Folk-lore , volume 3, page 79:
* (rfdate), O. Harrison / Johnson, The Isle-iad; or, King Orry's Banquet'', quoted in 1903 in ''The English Dialect Dictionary , volume 4 (M-Q), page 667:
- The following is what I have learnt by inquiry as to the qualtagh : all are agreed that he must not be a woman or girl, called at a house in Castletown on the morning of New Year's Day, and he chanced to be the qualtagh.
* 1894', (T. H.) Hall Caine, in the ''Manxman'', part 2, page 2, quoted in '''1903 in ''The English Dialect Dictionary , volume 4 (M-Q), page 667:
- Who would the ‘Qualtagh’ to a parish be?
- I should be the first-foot here, only I'm no use as a qualtagh .
* first footing