Pen vs Qalamdan - What's the difference?
As a symbol pen
is peruvian nuevo sol.
As a noun qalamdan is
a persian box or case for storing a pen.
From (etyl) . More at pin.
Sense “prison” originally figurative extension to enclosure for persons (1845), later influenced by
An enclosed area used to contain domesticated animals, especially sheep or cattle.
A place to confine a person; a prison cell.
- There are two steers in the third pen .
(baseball) The bullpen.
- They caught him with a stolen horse, and he wound up in the pen again.
- Two righties are up in the pen .
To enclose in a pen.
- Watching where shepherds pen their flocks at eve.
From (etyl) (m), from (etyl) (m), from (etyl) (Modern English (m));
note the /p/ ? /f/ Germanic sound change.
See feather and for more.
A tool, originally made from a feather but now usually a small tubular instrument, containing ink used to write or make marks.
(figurative) A writer, or his style.
- He took notes with a pen .
- He has a sharp pen .
A light pen.
(zoology) The internal cartilage skeleton of a squid, shaped like a pen.
A feather, especially one of the flight feathers of a bird, angel etc.
* 1590 , Edmund Spendser, The Faerie Queene , I.xi:
- those learned pens
(poetic) A wing.
- And eke the pennes , that did his pineons bynd, / Were like mayne-yards, with flying canuas lynd, / With which whenas him list the ayre to beat
* ball pen
* ball-point pen
* border pen
* bull pen
* cartridge pen
* felt-tip pen
* fountain pen
* goose pen
* lettering pen
* pen cancellation
* pen feather
* pen name
* pen pal
* poison pen
* you don't dip your pen in company ink
To write (an article, a book, etc.).
Shortned form of penalty
A Persian box or case for storing a pen.
* 1985 , Stuart Cary Welch, India: Art and Culture, 1300-1900 (page 139)
English words containing Q not followed by U
- Like other qalamdans made for discerning and affluent penmen, this one is inscribed with its maker's name and the date of its execution as well as a virtual anthology of appropriate Arabic and Persian verses.