Pursed vs Purred - What's the difference?
As verbs the difference between pursed and purred
is that pursed
) while purred
A small bag for carrying money.
* 1550 Mierdman, Steuen, The market or fayre of usurers
(US) A handbag (small bag usually used by women for carrying various small personal items)
A quantity of money given for a particular purpose.
* , Episode 12, The Cyclops
- And then mu?t many a man occupie as farre as his pur?e would reache, and ?tretche out his legges accordynge to the length of his couerlet.
(historical) A specific sum of money in certain countries: formerly 500 piastres in Turkey or 50 tomans in Persia.
- It was a historic and a hefty battle when Myler and Percy were scheduled to don the gloves for the purse of fifty sovereigns.
* (small bag for carrying money) pocketbook; coin purse, change purse
* (especially US)
* (small bag used by women) handbag (especially UK)
* (quantity of money) bursary, grant
* common purse
* make a silk purse of a sow's ear
To press (one's lips) in and together so that they protrude.
* 1979 , (Monty Python), (Always Look on the Bright Side of Life)
- When you're feeling in the dumps
- Don't be silly chumps
To draw up or contract into folds or wrinkles; to pucker; to knit.
- Just purse your lips and whistle – that's the thing.
To put into a purse.
- Thou didst contract and purse thy brow.
(intransitive, obsolete, rare) To steal purses; to rob.
* Beaumont and Fletcher
- I will go and purse the ducats straight.
- I'll purse : I'll bet at bowling alleys.
Of a cat, to make a vibrating sound in its throat when contented.
To say (something) in a throaty, seductive manner.
* 2008 , C. E. Osborne, Black Gold Death in the Sun (page 12)
To make a vibrating throaty sound, as from pleasure.
(of an engine) To make a low and consistent rumbling sound.
* 2001 , E. C. Craver, Last Reunion (page 159)
- "This is Cindy," she purred again, flashing a smile of perfect white teeth surrounded by full red lips.
- Beverly passed the city limits sign with the Porsche's motor purring contentedly after its two hundred and fifty-mile romp.
* purr like a kitten
The vibrating sound made by a cat in its throat when contented.
* 1918 , Sarath Kumar Ghosh, The wonders of the jungle - Volume 2 (page 113)
A throaty, seductive sound of pleasure made by a person.
* 2006 , Brenda Williamson, Wolverton Blood (page 53)
- Instead, the tiger looked around, and gave a purr , and then a growl. What did that mean? The man could not tell. Then the tiger just flung upon the man some of the sand from the side of the hollow.
The low consistent rumble made by an engine at slow speed
* 1997 , Susan Wood, A Fly in Amber (page 191)
- The trill of her purr echoed inside his mouth when he kissed her again. Clutching at his shirt, her fingers traveled the muscles in his back.
- I sat still in the car and listened to the soft purr of the engine and my beating heart. Then slowly, and as silently as possible, I drove the car back to camp.