Purify vs Freebase - What's the difference?
As verbs the difference between purify and freebase
is that purify
is to cleanse (something), or rid (it) of impurities while freebase
is to purify a drug by crystallization.
As a noun freebase is
(chemistry) the purified, dry form of an amine, especially an alkaloid natural product, that is normally used in solution.
To cleanse (something), or rid (it) of impurities
To free (someone) from guilt or sin
* free base
(chemistry) The purified, dry form of an amine, especially an alkaloid natural product, that is normally used in solution.
* 1987 , Richard Seymour, David Elvin Smith, The Physician's Guide to Psychoactive Drugs ,
* 2002 , Edith Fairman Cooper, The Emergence of Crack Cocaine Abuse ,
- The freebase' is heated in a retort, foil, or other container and the vapor is inhaled as the ' freebase vaporizes.
* 2007 , Jared Ledgard, A Laboratory History of Narcotics , Volume 1: Amphetamines and Derivatives,
- On June 9, 1980, national attention was brought to cocaine freebasing when comedian Richard Pryor suffered third degree burns allegedly while using a butane torch to heat cocaine freebase he had prepared with ether.
(specifically) The purified, dry form of certain illegal drugs, especially cocaine.
* 2011 , Manuel Suarez, To Be Or Not to Be a Real Cop ,
- Note: this freebase methedrine will actually be a mixture of the DL and L-forms, from which the L-form is the most common used in the preparation of methamphetamine.
- That day, I gave a class on making and using freebase'. This was one thing that was to be done perfectly, or you could end up with glass and ' freebase all over you.
To purify a drug by crystallization.
To use a purified drug, especially cocaine, by heating it and inhaling the fumes produced.
* 2009 , Mackenzie Phillips, High On Arrival ,
* 2010 , George Case, Out of Our Heads: Rock 'n' Roll Before the Drugs Wore Off ,
- Richard, one of my friends in L.A., claimed to have invented freebasing — smoking cocaine in its base form—though it's likely that what he meant was that he introduced a whole bunch of people to the process.
* 2013 , John Markert, Hooked in Film: Substance Abuse on the Big Screen ,
- With his nostrils ravaged, Crosby turned to drinking Cocaine mixed in glasses of wine, then took to smoking it by the novel technique of freebasing , where the drug is distilled down to its purest form through a process of filtration using ammonia and ether.
- Roger Ebert pretty much agrees with Siskel's dismissive attitude toward the film, saying he only watched it because it was about freebasing cocaine and he wanted to see that, since he had heard so much about it.