Psychiatrize is a hypernym of medicalize.
In transitive terms the difference between medicalize and psychiatrize
is that medicalize
is to make medical; to convert or reduce to a branch of medicine while psychiatrize
is to make psychiatric; to bring into the realm of psychiatry.
To make medical; to convert or reduce to a branch of medicine.
* 1996 , Dion Farquhar, The Other Machine: Discourse and Reproductive Technologies
* 1999 , Judith Rooks, Charles S Mahan, Midwifery and Childbirth
- The sexual objectification and violation of women is made invisible because technological reproduction has turned medicalized pornography into education...
* 2004 , Leonore Tiefer, Sex is Not a Natural Act and Other Essays
- Early in this century American obstetrics became committed to a path that has led to a highly medicalized approach to the care of women during pregnancy...
- ...sexual problems would have to be repackaged and medicalized .
To make psychiatric; to bring into the realm of psychiatry.
* 1974 , André Haïm, Adolescent suicide (page 48)
* 2007 , Charles Webel, Johan Galtung, Handbook of peace and conflict studies (page 61)
- On the other hand it is just as important not to psychiatrize youth as a whole, to avoid over-hasty interference that will run counter to the aim in view by 'freezing' or even preventing the progressive spontaneous process.
- The mediator may be tempted to: • Psychiatrize the parties, labelling them as mentally ill.