As verbs the difference between distend and protrude
is that distend
is to extend or expand, as from internal pressure; to swell while protrude
is to extend from, above or beyond a surface or boundary; to bulge outward; to stick out.
To extend or expand, as from internal pressure; to swell
(transitive, reflexive, archaic) To extend; to stretch out; to spread out.
* 1662 Thomas Salusbury, Galileo's Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems (Dialogue 2):
- These impure and frail matters are conteined within the angust concave of the Lunar Orb, above which with uninterrupted Series the things Celestial distend themselves.
To cause to swell.
(biology) To cause gravidity.
- But say, what mean those coloured streaks in heaven / Distended as the brow of God appeased?
To extend from, above or beyond a surface or boundary; to bulge outward; to stick out.
To thrust forward; to drive or force along.
- Archegonia are surrounded early in their development by the juvenile perianth, through the slender beak of which the elongated neck of the fertilized archegonium protrudes .
To thrust out, as through a narrow orifice or from confinement; to cause to come forth.
- (John Locke)
- When Spring protrudes the bursting gems.