As adjectives the difference between pretentious and prosperous
is that pretentious
is marked by an unwarranted claim to importance or distinction while prosperous
is characterized by success.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
Marked by an unwarranted claim to importance or distinction.
Ostentatious; intended to impress others.
- Their song titles are pretentious in the context of their basic lyrics.
- Her dress was obviously more pretentious than comfortable.
* See also
characterized by success
well off; affluent
- Trading Babe Ruth was far more prosperous for the Yankees than for the Red Sox.
- He was raised in a very prosperous household.
- He chose a prosperous lottery number that evening.
* (characterized by success ): successful
* (well off ): affluent, rich, well off, well-to-do, wealthy
* (favorable ): favorable