Apanage vs Privilege - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between apanage and privilege
is that apanage
is a grant (especially by a sovereign) of land (or other source of revenue) as a birthright while privilege
A grant (especially by a sovereign) of land (or other source of revenue) as a birthright.
* 1942': they suspected that Peter II was only waiting till he had saved enough of his '''apanage to run away to some more civilized country. — Rebecca West, ''Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Canongate 2006, p. 1046)
A perquisite that is appropriate to one's position.
* priviledg (obsolete)
* priviledge (obsolete)
A peculiar benefit, advantage, or favor; a right or immunity not enjoyed by others or by all; special enjoyment of a good, or exemption from an evil or burden; a prerogative; advantage; franchise; preferential treatment.
The status or existence of such benefit or advantage.
- All first-year professors here must teach four courses a term, yet you're only teaching one! What entitled you to such a privilege ?
(legal) A common law doctrine that protects certain communications from being used as evidence in court.
- In order to advance racial equality in the United States, what we've got to do is reduce white privilege .
(finance) A call, put, spread, or other option.
(computing) An ability to perform an action on the system that can be selectively granted or denied to users; permission.
- ''Your honor, my client is not required to answer that; her response is protected by attorney-client privilege .
* prerogative, immunity, freelage, franchise, right, claim, liberty, advantage, foredeal
(archaic) To grant some particular right or exemption to; to invest with a peculiar right or immunity; to authorize; as, to privilege representatives from arrest.
(archaic) To bring or put into a condition of privilege or exemption from evil or danger; to exempt; to deliver.