Eliminated vs Prevented - What's the difference?
As verbs the difference between eliminated and prevented
is that eliminated
) while prevented
To completely destroy (something) so that it no longer exists.
(slang) To kill (a person or animal).
(physiology) To excrete (waste products).
To exclude (from investigation or from further competition).
- Bill was eliminated as a suspect when the police interviewed witnesses.
(accounting) To record amounts in a to remove the effects of inter-company transactions.
- John was eliminated as a contestant when it was found he had gained, rather than lost, weight.
FindMyBestCPA.com - Consolidated Statements (Interco eliminations)
* See also
* give the chop to
* give the boot to
* give the sack to
* give the walking papers to
* vote off
To stop; to keep (from happening).
- I brushed my teeth to prevent them from going yellow.
, date=October 1
, author=Tom Fordyce
, title=Rugby World Cup 2011: England 16-12 Scotland
, work=BBC Sport
, passage=Scotland must now hope Georgia produce a huge upset and beat Argentina by at least eight points in Sunday's final Pool B match to prevent
them failing to make the last eight for the first time in World Cup history.}}
* 1897 , Henry James, What Maisie Knew :
(obsolete) To come before; to precede.
* Bible, 1 Thess. iv. 15
- ‘I think you must be mad, and she shall not have a glimpse of it while I'm here to prevent !’
* Book of Common Prayer
- We which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
- We pray thee that thy grace may always prevent and follow us.
(obsolete) To outdo, surpass.
* 1596 , Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene , IV.i:
- Then had I come, preventing Sheba's queen.
(obsolete) To be beforehand with; to anticipate.
* Alexander Pope
- With that he put his spurres vnto his steed, / With speare in rest, and toward him did fare, / Like shaft out of a bow preuenting speed.
- their ready guilt preventing thy commands
* See also