As adjectives the difference between obnoxious and pretentious
is that obnoxious
is extremely unpleasant, offensive, very annoying, odious or contemptible while pretentious
is marked by an unwarranted claim to importance or distinction.
* obnoctious (obsolete)
Extremely unpleasant, offensive, very annoying, odious or contemptible.
- He was an especially obnoxious and detestable specimen of a man.
(archaic) exposed to harm or injury.
* 1661 , , page 26,
- Throwing stones at the bus is another example of your obnoxious behaviour.
- To begin then with his Experiment of the burning Wood, it seems to me to be obnoxious to not a few considerable Exceptions.
Marked by an unwarranted claim to importance or distinction.
Ostentatious; intended to impress others.
- Their song titles are pretentious in the context of their basic lyrics.
- Her dress was obviously more pretentious than comfortable.
* See also