Poration vs Portion - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between poration and portion
is that poration
is (biology) the formation of pores in a surface, or the pattern of such pores while portion
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
(biology) The formation of pores in a surface, or the pattern of such pores
An allocated amount.
That which is divided off or separated, as a part from a whole; a separated part of anything.
One's fate; lot.
* Bible, Luke xii. 46
- The lord of that servant will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.
The part of an estate given or falling to a child or heir; an inheritance.
* Bible, Luke xv. 12
- Man's portion is to die and rise again.
A wife's fortune; a dowry.
* 1613 , , V. iv. 31:
- Give me the portion of goods that falleth to me.
- Commend me to her, and to piece her portion / Tender her this.
Relatively formal, compared to the more informal part or more concrete and casual piece. For example, “part of the money” (both informal) but “portion of the proceeds” (both formal).
To divide into amounts, as for allocation to specific purposes.
To endow with a portion or inheritance.
- Him portioned maids, apprenticed orphans, blest. — Alexander Pope.
* Particularly used as portion out.
* Relatively formal, compared to the more informal divide, divide up, or the casual divvy, divvy up.
* divide, divide up
* divvy, divvy up
* portion off
* portion out