Tofall vs Plummet - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between tofall and plummet
is that tofall
is decline; settling; end; close while plummet
is (archaic) a piece of lead attached to a line, used in sounding the depth of water.
As a verb plummet is
to drop swiftly, in a direct manner; to fall quickly.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
* (l), (l), (l), (l), (l), (l)
Decline; settling; end; close.
(archaic, architechture) A shed or building annexed to the wall of a larger one, having its roof formed in a single slope with the top resting against the wall; lean-to.
- at to-fall of the day'' — A. E. Houseman, ''More Poems , XLIV
(archaic) A piece of lead attached to a line, used in sounding the depth of water.
* 1610 , , act 3 scene 3
(archaic) A plumb bob or a plumb line.
(archaic) Hence, any weight.
* 1945, , Here is Your War: Story of G.I. Joe , The World Publishing Company (1945), page #93:
- I'll sink him deeper than e'er plummet sounded.
(archaic) A piece of lead formerly used by school children to rule paper for writing
a plummet line, a line with a plummet; a sounding line.
Violent or dramatic fall
(figuratively) decline; fall; drop
- His parachute was shot half away, and if he'd jumped he would have fallen like a plummet .
, date=December 29
, author=Chris Whyatt
, title=Chelsea 1 - 0 Bolton
, passage=Yet another seriously under-par performance is unlikely to provide any real answers to their remarkable plummet
in form - but it proves they can at least churn out a much-needed result. }}
To drop swiftly, in a direct manner; to fall quickly.
- After its ascent, the arrow plummeted to earth.
* (to drop swiftly) dive, drop, fall
* (to drop swiftly) ascend, rise, rocket, soar, skyrocket
* plumb line