What's the difference between
Enter two words to compare and contrast their definitions, origins, and synonyms to better understand how those words are related.

Cultivators vs Ploughs - What's the difference?

cultivators | ploughs |

As a noun cultivators

is plural of cultivator.

As a verb ploughs is

third-person singular of plough.




  • ploughs



  • (plough)

  • plough


    (wikipedia plough)

    Alternative forms

    * (US) plow


    (en noun)
  • A device pulled through the ground in order to break it open into furrows for planting.
  • The horse-drawn plough had a tremendous impact on agriculture.
  • An alternative name for Ursa Major or the Great Bear.
  • A carucate of land; a ploughland.
  • * Tale of Gamelyn
  • Johan, mine eldest son, shall have plowes five.
  • A joiner's plane for making grooves.
  • A bookbinder's implement for trimming or shaving off the edges of books.
  • Usage notes

    The spelling (m) is usual in the United States, but the spelling plough may be found in literary or historical contexts there.

    Derived terms

    * moldboard plow * ploughman * ploughshare * snowplough * sodbuster plough


    (en verb)
  • To use a plough on to prepare for planting.
  • I've still got to plough that field.
  • To use a plough.
  • Some days I have to plough from sunrise to sunset.
  • (vulgar) To have sex with.
  • To move with force.
  • * {{quote-news
  • , year=2011 , date=January 18 , author= , title=Wolverhampton 5 - 0 Doncaster , work=BBC citation , page= , passage=Wolves continued to plough forward as young Belgian midfielder Mujangi Bia and Ronald Zubar both hit shots wide from good positions.}}
  • To furrow; to make furrows, grooves, or ridges in; to run through, as in sailing.
  • * Shakespeare
  • Let patient Octavia plough thy visage up / With her prepared nails.
  • * Alexander Pope
  • With speed we plough the watery way.
  • (bookbinding) To trim, or shave off the edges of, as a book or paper, with a plough.
  • (joinery) To cut a groove in, as in a plank, or the edge of a board; especially, a rectangular groove to receive the end of a shelf or tread, the edge of a panel, a tongue, etc.
  • Derived terms

    * plough back * plough in * plough into * plough on * plough the back forty * plough through * plough under * Ploughright (family name)

    See also

    * disc * furrow * harrow * rake * yoke