Beg vs Pleat - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between beg and pleat
is that beg
is while pleat
is (sewing) a fold in the fabric of a garment, usually a skirt, as a part of the design of the garment, with the purpose of adding controlled fullness and freedom of movement, or taking up excess fabric there are many types of pleats, differing in their construction and appearance.
As a verb pleat is
to form one or more in a piece of fabric or a garment.
From (etyl) (m), assimilation from (etyl) *.
to request the help of someone, often in the form of money
to plead with someone for help, a favor, etc.; to entreat
- He begged on the street corner from passers-by.
- I beg your pardon. I didn't mean to cause offence.
- He begged her to go to the prom with him .
* Bible, Matthew xxvii. 58
- I do beg your good will in this case.
* 1898 , , (Moonfleet) Chapter 5
- [Joseph] begged the body of Jesus.
to assume, in the phrase (beg the question)
(proscribed) to raise a question, in the phrase (beg the question)
(legal, obsolete) To ask to be appointed guardian for, or to ask to have a guardian appointed for.
- But that same day came Sam Tewkesbury to the Why Not? about nightfall, and begged a glass of rum, being, as he said, 'all of a shake'
- Else some will beg thee, in the court of wards.
* This is a catenative verb that takes the to infinitive . See
* (raise a question)
* beg the question
* go begging
* beg to differ
From (etyl) (m).
a provincial governor under the Ottoman Empire, a bey
(sewing) A fold in the fabric of a garment, usually a skirt, as a part of the design of the garment, with the purpose of adding controlled fullness and freedom of movement, or taking up excess fabric. There are many types of pleats, differing in their construction and appearance.
(botany) A fold in an organ, usually a longitudinal fold in a long leaf such as that of palmetto, lending it stiffness.
To form one or more in a piece of fabric or a garment.
* accordion pleat
* box pleat
* inverted box pleat
* knife pleat
* pencil pleat
* sunburst pleat