Pish vs Piss - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between pish and piss
is that pish
is a sibilant noise (eg "psshh") made by birders and ornithologists to attract small birds while piss
is (vulgar) urine.
As verbs the difference between pish and piss
is that pish
is to try to attract birds by making a sibilant noise (eg "psshh") while piss
is (vulgar) to urinate.
As an interjection pish
is an expression of disdain.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
A sibilant noise (e.g. "psshh") made by birders and ornithologists to attract small birds.
To try to attract birds by making a sibilant noise (e.g. "psshh").
To express contempt.
- 1606 - act ii, scene 1
- Pish for thee, Iceland dog! thou prick-ear'd cur of Iceland!
* Most commonly found in the gerund or present participle pishing .
* Dunne, Peter (2006). The Art of Pishing: How to Attract Birds by Mimicking Their Calls . ISBN 9780811732956.
* Langham, G. M.; Contreras, T.A. & Sieving, K.E. (2006).
Why pishing works: Titmouse (Paridae) scolds elicit a generalized response in bird communities]. Ecoscience 13 (4): 485–496. doi:10.2980/1195-6860(2006)13[485:WPWTPS2.0.CO;2
- 1611' ''Monster, I do smell all horse-'''piss ; at which my nose is in great indignation.'' — Shakespeare, ''The Tempest , Act 4, Scene 1.
(vulgar, slang) Alcoholic beverage, especially of inferior quality.
- 2005' ''There in a puddle of '''piss sat Princess Fatima, her dress up over her knees, vomit dripping onto her bodice'' - Richard Connelly Miller, ''Tanglefoot
* See also
(vulgar) To urinate.
(vulgar) To discharge as or with the urine.
- 1601' ''O Jove, a beastly fault! And then another fault in the semblance of a fowl; think on ’t, Jove; a foul fault! When gods have hot backs, what shall poor men do? For me, I am here a Windsor stag; and the fattest, I think, i’ the forest. Send me a cool rut-time, Jove, or who can blame me '''to piss my tallow? Who comes here? my doe?'' — Shakespeare, ''The Merry Wives of Windsor , Act 5, Scene 5.
* on the piss
* piece of piss
* piss and vinegar
* piss artist
* piss away
* piss clam
* pissed off
* piss flap
* pissing contest
* piss in someone's pocket
* piss it down
* piss like a racehorse
* piss lily
* piss money up the wall
* piss off
* piss oneself
* piss on that
* piss pot
* piss water
* take the piss
* weak as piss