Agreeable vs Personable - What's the difference?
As adjectives the difference between agreeable and personable
is that agreeable
is pleasing, either to the mind or senses; pleasant; grateful while personable
is (of a person) having a pleasing appearance or manner; attractive; handsome; friendly; amiable.
As a noun agreeable
is something pleasing; anything that is agreeable.
Pleasing, either to the mind or senses; pleasant; grateful.
- agreeable manners
- agreeable remarks
- an agreeable person
* (rfdate) (Oliver Goldsmith):
- fruit agreeable to the taste
(colloquial) Willing; ready to agree or consent.
* (rfdate) (Hugh Latimer):
- A train of agreeable reveries.
Agreeing or suitable; conformable; correspondent; concordant; adapted; .
* (rfdate) (w, Roger L'Estrange):
- These Frenchmen give unto the said captain of Calais a great sum of money, so that he will be but content and agreeable that they may enter into the said town.
In pursuance, conformity, or accordance; (used adverbially)
- That which is agreeable to the nature of one thing, is many times contrary to the nature of another.
- Agreeable to the order of the day, the House took up the report.
Something pleasing; anything that is agreeable.
* 1855 , Blackwood's magazine (volume 77, page 331)
- The disagreeables of travelling are necessary evils, to be encountered for the sake of the agreeables of resting and looking round you.
* (l) (obsolete)
* (l) (obsolete)
(of a person) Having a pleasing appearance or manner; attractive; handsome; friendly; amiable.
* 1822 , , The Fortunes of Nigel , ch. 19:
- Wise, warlike, personable , courteous, and kind.
* 1908 , , A Room With a View , ch. 12:
- I admit him a personable man, for I have seen him; and I will suppose him courteous and agreeable.
* 1919 , . The Sun Of Quebec , ch. 5:
- Barefoot, bare-chested, radiant and personable against the shadowy woods, he called: "Hullo, Miss Honeychurch! Hullo!"
* 2009 , Randy James, "
- I'm bound to admit that you're a personable young rascal, with the best manners I've met in a long time.
2-Min. Bio: Stephanie Birkitt: Letterman's Lover?," Time , 5 Oct.:
(legal) Enabled to maintain pleas in court.
- Aside from being incredibly funny and personable he is generous, kind and is great fun to play catch with.
Having capacity to take anything granted.